- Parents must be registered in the parish prior to Baptism and be attending Mass regularly
- Parents must be active duty military (subjects of the Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA)
- Parents AND Godparents must attend the Baptismal preparation class; Baptism is not scheduled otherwise
- Godparents must be practicing Catholics and will need a letter of good standing from their home parish if they are not from JBPHH Catholic Community
- Godparents must have received Confirmation
- Godparents must be at least 16 years old
- Godparents cannot be the parents of the child being baptized
- Proxy Godparents are permitted
Baptismal Preparation Class
- Held every first Sunday of the month from 1230-1330 in Classrooms 1 & 2 at Hickam Chapel
- Must be attended in order to schedule the Baptism
- Free with no registration necessary
- Certificates are provided after class completion upon request
- Classes are taught by a trained catechist
- One-time class
- Children are welcome inside the classroom
After Scheduling the Baptism:
- The Parish Coordinator Tami Cortez will contact you upon receiving the paperwork from the class
- Baptisms are every 4th Sunday during Mass at the 0815 or the 1115 Mass unless otherwise scheduled
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to check in with the Sacristan
- During the ceremony, please ensure your child's top is loosened so the priest is able to anoint properly
After the Baptism:
- Official copies of the Baptismal certificate must be requested from the Archdiocese for the Military Services
- Call/Fax: (202) 719-3600 / (202) 269-9022
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or write:
Archdiocese of the Military Services, USA
P.O. Box 4469
Washington, D.C. 20017-0469
Frequently Asked Questions:
- The Godparents don't live here and can't make the class. What can they do?
They can take their home parish's Baptismal preparation class or equivalent. If the Godparents are not members of JBPHH Catholic Community, they will need a letter of good standing from their home parish, so within that letter, it should also state that they attended that class.
- My spouse and I/the Godparents are on island, but we are unable to make the class. Is there a make-up?
Unfortunately we do not have a make-up class. However, we do accept Baptismal class certificates from other local parishes.
- Can I have more than two Godparents?
Only one set of Godparents (Godfather & Godmother) are listed on the official certificates
- I've taken the Baptismal preparation class at JBPHH Catholic Community before, can I get a letter of good standing/certificate again?
Yes, although please be aware we cannot keep records for more than one year.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Catholic office Director Tami Cortez at 808-449-1766 or email@example.com